|Holman Square: Chicago's "black site" off record interrogation center|
The disappeared: Chicago police detain Americans at abuse-laden 'black site'
- Exclusive: Secret interrogation facility reveals aspects of war on terror in US
- ‘They disappeared us’: protester details 17-hour shackling without basic rights
- Accounts describe police brutality, missing 15-year-old and one man’s death
military and intelligence interrogation impacted people overseas, Homan Square – said to house military-style vehicles and even a cage – focuses on American citizens, most often poor, black and brown. ‘When you go in,’ Brian Jacob Church told the Guardian, ‘nobody knows what happened to you.’ Video: Phil Batta for the Guardian; editing: Mae Ryan
Spencer Ackerman in Chicago
Tuesday 24 February 2015 21.43 GMT Last modified on Wednesday 25 February 2015 13.13 GMT
The Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound, rendering Americans unable to be found by family or attorneys while locked inside what lawyers say is the domestic equivalent of a CIA black site.
|Chicago 'black site': former US justice officials call for Homan Square inquiry|
The facility, a nondescript warehouse on Chicago’s west side known as Homan Square, has long been the scene of secretive work by special police units. Interviews with local attorneys and one protester who spent the better part of a day shackled in Homan Square describe operations that deny access to basic constitutional rights.
Alleged police practices at Homan Square , according to those familiar with the facility who spoke out to the Guardian after its investigation into Chicago police abuse , include:
- Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.
- Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.
- Shackling for prolonged periods.
- Denying attorneys access to the “secure” facility.
- Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.
- At least one man was found unresponsive in a Homan Square “interview room” and later pronounced dead.
Read more »
Posted by Obi-Wan Kabuki at 4:17 PM