Latest topics
» James Gilliland Return of the Anunnaki
Today at 11:33 am by PurpleSkyz

Today at 11:21 am by PurpleSkyz

» Micro-Dosing: A New Way To Medicate With Marijuana?
Today at 11:16 am by PurpleSkyz

Today at 11:13 am by PurpleSkyz

» Nick Meeting With the FBI Again - Submit Your Info NOW
Today at 11:05 am by PurpleSkyz

» The resurrection of the shaman
Today at 10:57 am by PurpleSkyz

» How to Exit the Matrix in 6 Steps
Today at 10:45 am by PurpleSkyz

» POOFness for OCT 22: A ROOM IN A CAR (to bad not a cell for lying & scamming people)
Today at 10:40 am by PurpleSkyz

» RV/GCR Weekend Chatter
Today at 10:03 am by PurpleSkyz

» Rise Together ~ Fake Alien Invasion Planned for November 8th—How to protect your family
Today at 9:50 am by Jaguar-2016

» UFO News ~ UFO Seen At ISS Glistening In The Sun and MORE
Today at 9:49 am by PurpleSkyz

» NIBIRU News ~ Black Star Update plus MORE
Today at 9:43 am by PurpleSkyz

» Political Meme Time!
Yesterday at 11:39 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Serena Shim -American Journalist Killed in Turkey for Revealing the Truth
Yesterday at 11:14 pm by PurpleSkyz

» NSA Data Dump and Disclosure
Yesterday at 11:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Fw: Perspective on this – New Republic Intel – October 19, 2016 …. W*O*W !!
Yesterday at 11:04 pm by PurpleSkyz

» To All Living and Breathing Men, Women, Red Blooded American's
Yesterday at 11:02 pm by PurpleSkyz

Yesterday at 11:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Religous dinner with Don n Hil.... "Pardon me"
Yesterday at 10:41 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Gettysburg Ghosts of the American Civil War
Yesterday at 9:27 pm by Crayonmiracle

» BOOM: HILLARY CLINTON Transfers $1.8 Billion to QATAR Central Bank and more BS
Yesterday at 9:23 pm by PurpleSkyz

» WikiLeaks Tweets “Heavily Armed Police” Outside Ecuadorian Embassy; Says Assange Is Still Alive
Yesterday at 8:04 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Major DDoS attack on Dyn DNS knocks Spotify, Twitter, Github, PayPal, and more offline
Yesterday at 7:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» To All Living and Breathing Men, Women and red blooded Americans who live on the land in the 50 States aka America
Yesterday at 6:01 pm by Crayonmiracle

» Project Veritas Action Videos Hoopla
Yesterday at 4:42 pm by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

The other side of the coin

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The other side of the coin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:00 pm

One month after the Sandy Hook school shootings, the list of victims continues to grow. One man, Gene Rosen — who found six children and a bus driver in his driveway, brought them into his home, fed them and called parents to assure them that their children were safe — has been harassed by telephone, email and online by those who think he is lying about his actions, and is part of a conspiracy.

Rosen is not the first hero to be assaulted and insulted by conspiracy theorists with doubts. In 2002, when conspiracy theorist Bart Sibrel confronted astronaut Buzz Aldrin and called him a "coward and a liar" for faking the moon landings, the 72-year-old promptly punched Sibrel in the face.

A group called the Sandy Hook Truther movement has emerged from the dust and chaos over the past weeks to claim that the school shooting was all a staged event. Though many Americans are outraged and incredulous that anyone could doubt that the tragedy even happened, the Sandy Hook school shootings follow classic conspiracy thinking. Here are a few reasons why.

Poignant political implications

Shootings — even child murders — happen every day, several times a day, in America. According to UNICEF, America has the worst record of child abuse and homicide in the industrialized world, with an average of 27 children killed every week by their parents and caregivers. But those child murders don't have implications for enacting a national policy on gun control.

Most events producing conspiracy theories have important social and political implications, and the Sandy Hook shootings are no exception. No one, regardless of what side of the gun control issue they are on, can deny that guns played a key role in the Sandy Hook killings. So the conspiracy theorists must instead challenge the claim that the attack even occurred. They believe it's all a hoax to scare people into supporting more gun control and a step toward an outright repeal of the Second Amendment. [5 Milestones in Gun Control History]

'Holes' in the 'official story'

A common theme running through conspiracy thinking is that if you're smart enough, and just look closely enough at all the news coverage and available information, you can see lies and contradictions in accounts of the event. Truthers claim that they have found "absolute proof" that the shootings were a hoax, pointing to a 6-year-old girl named Emilie Parker, who was shot to death in the school massacre.

Or was she? They claim that the smoking-gun photographic proof that Emilie is still alive is that she was photographed after the shooting with President Obama during a visit with the families. The girl is actually Emilie's sister, wearing the same dress that Emilie wore in another photograph.

In the topsy-turvy world of conspiracy thinking, any little girl who resembles Emilie and is wearing the same dress as one she owned must be her. It could not possibly be her sister, who could not possibly be wearing either Emilie's dress or an identical one. Instead, it's obviously proof that the whole shooting was faked.

But this claim, even if it were true, raises more questions than it answers. For example, if Sandy Hook was indeed a "staged event" as claimed, with Emilie Parker alive and the president part of the conspiracy, why would the government be so careless as to release a photograph of Emilie, knowing that she had been reported dead in a carefully orchestrated national hoax? Is a widely published photo opportunity with the president of the United States really the best place to hide someone who is supposedly dead?

Conspiracy theorist websites offer dozens of other examples and pieces of evidence, ranging from real or perceived contradictions in eyewitness accounts to conflicting news reports. And indeed there are some contradictions. [The 10 Most Bizarre Conspiracy Theories]

The minds of conspiracy theorists

But what the conspiratorial mind sees as misinformation and lies, others see as merely perfectly ordinary incomplete and inaccurate information following a multifaceted tragedy. Especially in the hours and first days after such a chaotic and horrifying event, witnesses can be confused and mistaken. Police officers and reporters can misspeak, or be given incorrect information.

Not every single statement about what occurred, from dozens of different people in different places at different times, will agree in every detail. Three different witnesses to a minor car accident will often give three slightly different accounts of what they saw, so it's unrealistic to expect dozens of people who were involved in a chaotic school massacre to report exactly the same things.

Part of the reason that conspiracy theories linger is that any contradictory evidence — no matter how conclusive or compelling — can just be dismissed by claiming that it's part of the cover-up. There is ultimately no evidence that would satisfy most conspiracy theorists. Those who distrust the government will use any excuse to support their beliefs, logical or not. Conspiracy theorists prefer complex mysteries over simple truths, and find mystery where none exists.

Research has shown not only that a person who believes in one conspiracy theory is likely to support others, but also contradictions don't deter conspiracy theorists.

The idea that the Sandy Hook massacre was faked is not only absurd, but also an insult to the victims of the tragedy. The victims are really, provably gone; they are not safely hidden away somewhere until the Sandy Hook shooting has served its ultimate goal of taking away America's guns. The bullet holes are there. The children and adults are dead. Toxic conspiracies, however, will live on.

Benjamin Radford is deputy editor of Skeptical Inquirer science magazine and author of six books, including "Media Mythmakers: How Journalists, Activists, and Advertisers Mislead Us." His website site is

Top Ten Unexplained Phenomena
Understanding the 10 Most Destructive Human Behaviors
The World's Greatest Hoaxes
Copyright 2013 LiveScience, a TechMediaNetwork company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Hook

2 Re: The other side of the coin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 pm

This is a very good article Ponee. The voice of reason in an unreasonable situation.

Thanks... I love the two sides of all conspiracies. We ALL need the full picture.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity ~ Edgar Allan Poe

3 Re: The other side of the coin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:45 pm

I saw this on the news, and MSN a few days ago-A 'false' flag event, so 'O' thought he had an excuse, and the chance to take our guns away- He is being instructed by George Soros and the Bush clan on how to destroy this country, so now he wants all these bans, but he has been warned he will be impeached if he pulls the executive order deal again- Now, alot of states are going against him, and saying they will not enforce ANY government order whatsoever, and I think that is just fucking great!! But I think he will be impeached anyway- Just a matter of days, is all, and I can't wait- he was falsely elected anyway, and was a fraud from day one, Personally, I hope someone shoots the lying bastard, that's how I feel- Let the 'slams, and bashings' begin, makes no difference to me whatsoever, I calls 'em 'like I sees 'em, and I see just fine', I've said my piece, and I MEAN IT--His days ARE NUMBERED-

4 Re: The other side of the coin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Yeah sure. is such a reliable source of truth.

The reason there are conspiracy theorists is because there are a lot of actual conspiracies being perpetrated on the citizens of this country. We have a lapdog media, some call then Presstitutes with good reason, because they tell the sheep what they are told to say, they don't ask questions and they don't investigate. Neither do "the authorities" whose job it is to investigate as well. So, since none of these people are doing their jobs, we the people who are not yet brain dead get to ask questions. We question because no one else does. We question because someone is denying us our rights for a reason and we get to ask "Why and How." If that is insulting to the parents of these kids, they should speak up. I don't hear any parents complaining about anything except not getting enough donations.

Anyone who believes there is nothing at all fishy about Sandy Hook is firmly in denial about the deceitfulness of our government and will remain numbly attached to their teevee IV for their "official story fix" from Fox. That is your right, just as mine is to question everything.

5 Re: The other side of the coin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Spot on Raven.

We not only question but need to understand and find out the truth here. I respect every ones opinion here. But I personally have thought from the very moment I heard of the Sandy Hook "incident" that it was yet another sleight of hand from the underhanded. It is so heinous that it fits right in to the mo used by those that control. I do not think that this was to grab our guns either. If it was it had the exact opposite effect. This is bigger than that. I don't know what or why.... but I know it is not what it is reported. I can feel that this is wrong. Way wrong. The LIBOR connection is the key.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity ~ Edgar Allan Poe

6 Re: The other side of the coin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:34 am

Here is something to think about- The kid that 'supposedly' shot and killed at Sandy Hook, and the 'Joker' James dude in Colorado that went into the moviehouse and shot up the place, BOTH of their fathers had dealings with LIBOR scandal at Wall street where both had plans of trying to destroy the stock market,and embezzle people's money, and stocks and I believe was motivated by Jamie Dimon, if I'm not mistaken, it was something to that effect-

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum