OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life
Richmond Hill resident's act of kindness may have saved man's life RH_homeless_image_2___Content
[b style="font-size: 15px; font-weight: bolder; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;"]Act of kindness[/b]
File Photo
Richmond Hill has its share of homelessness amidst affluence, but when the two worlds collide, as they did recently at a local beer store, the encounter can be powerful.

Richmond Hill Liberal
ByKim Zarzour
You won’t see a photograph of the people featured in this story.
They’re far too modest to want their faces emblazoned in the local paper.
But reading this story may cause you to go about your daily life a little differently.
It happened in mid-July in Richmond Hill, at a local beer store in the south end of town, but could have happened anywhere and it could even happen to you.
The man was missing a shoe. That was the first thing Natasha Wells noticed.
Then she noticed his foot.
It was swollen to three times its normal size.
She looked more closely at this man, who occasionally appeared at the store where she worked.
He really did not look good at all.
True, he wasn’t your average customer — he was a drifter with a fondness for the bottle — but something, this time, was really wrong.
“Are you OK?” the 23-year-old asked him.
The man, who appeared to be in his late 50s, shrugged off her concern. Just a hurt foot, he said. Infected. Had medication. He’d be fine.
But Ms Wells didn’t think so. He seemed very sick.
“He’s just drunk,” a customer said. “He’ll shake it off in the morning.”
No, Ms Wells thought. She’d seen the homeless man drunk before and it wasn’t like this.
“He was looking really rough. Normally, he doesn’t look like a downtown homeless person, not constantly dirty. He’s usually clean and well-kept. But this day, he was dirty, mud-smeared, didn’t have one shoe, his stuff was missing and his hair was everywhere.”
The man showed her the medication he was taking for the infected foot. It was a container full of powder that had come loose from the crushed capsules, dampened from a recent rainfall.
He explained that he took bits of the dry powder from the bottom, where it hadn’t been touched by rain.
Gently, she suggested he might want to sit down. She asked if he’d like her to get him some medical attention.
The man said he didn’t want to burden anyone.
“I said my job is to provide good customer service and you’re a customer and you need help. We want to help you.”
Fergus Elliott was one of five people standing in the customer line, watching.
“I was so impressed,” he says. “She didn’t care what other people thought. She was just focused on treating this man with respect.”
Mr. Elliott was also concerned.
“The guy’s left foot looked like it was going to explode.”
He stepped out of line, placing a hand on the man’s shoulder.
“You’re in pretty bad shape, buddy. You should listen to her. She’s giving good advice,” he said.
“You could see he was in pain, but he was polite,” he recalls. “There was a good human inside there.”
He offered to drive the man to hospital. The man pondered a bit, then agreed to an ambulance being called.
Ms Wells helped him to a bench outside the store and as they waited, she talked with him a bit.
She heard about his life. It sounded like a tough one: a business that was no more, a marriage that left him beaten, literally. Raw life stories that few youth in the comfortable suburbs ever hear about.
But Ms Wells, who lives in Richmond Hill, had just graduated from a Seneca College program in emergency communications.
The man was very lucky.
As he sat down, she noticed he was bleeding from his back.
Then she saw the blade. Shiny metal, still wedged in an open wound.
Be calm, she told herself. She remembered that from school. If you talk about the injury, it can cause panic and make things worse.
They talked some more. He said he lived in a sleeping bag — for now. It seemed he’d just been jumped.
“Why are you helping me?” he asked, still unaware of his back wound — and the blade. “Why are you being so nice?”
“Sometimes, you kind of need a friend, you know?” Ms Wells says, thinking back to the brief encounter. “He told me he appreciated my taking the time. And he cried.”
Seeing the man was being cared for, Mr. Elliott returned to his business, but the exchange stayed in his mind long afterwards.
“She did a fabulous job of making this guy feel genuinely cared for. To see a young person in this day and age, acting so selflesslessly, not talking down to him in a condescending way — it renewed my faith in youth.”
Two and a half weeks later, the man appeared at the store again, wearing a hospital bracelet, carrying a new batch of pills and a letter that he was eager to show Ms Wells.
“Thank you for getting this gentleman help. You saved his life,” it read, in neat handwriting.
“I think he’d got someone to write it for him,” she says, and the letter seemed to have special meaning for him.
“He asked if I minded if he kept the letter. It brought tears to my eyes.”
Then he went away.
It makes Ms Wells feel good, knowing she made an impact on a stranger who may not have experienced much in the way of kindness.
It reminded her not to judge a book by its cover. Reminded her that sometimes, everyone just needs a friend.
But she really doesn’t want any accolades. It’s not why she helped. She doesn’t think there’s anything unnatural about kindness.
That’s why she won’t be photographed and only gave her name to this paper with reluctance. She had the guts to approach a homeless man, but not to have her face in the newspaper, an irony that her boyfriend pointed out.
Mr. Elliott respects that choice.
The Thornhill man has been through hard times himself, but the brief encounter reminded him that he is blessed.
“I have good health, live in a house, food in the fridge. I’ve lost everything but gained big amounts of gratitude.
“How could we not help him, when we have so much and he had so little?”
He’s happy to have the story told in the newspaper, he says, because maybe some good will come from it. Maybe readers will ask themselves what they would do.
Would you offer your help, and if not, what would stop you?
Fear? Disgust? Apathy? Embarrassment?
“This homeless person was fortunate enough to be guided to Natasha that night. She gave him a positive emotional charge ... Showed him that there is certainly one person in this world who cares about him, even if he sleeps in a sleeping bag in a park.”
The homeless man reappeared in the neighbourhood this week, four weeks after they all crossed paths.
He looked really good, Mr. Elliott says. Like a new man, like he’s taking care of himself. Healthy, cleanly shaven, new haircut with an almost-cured foot.
His transformation is a story worth telling, Mr. Elliott says. It’s proof a rare, random act of kindness can touch a life.
“I hope this shows people how easy it is, that it’s OK to step up and do something kind.”

Thanks to: http://www.yorkregion.com

happywelshguy

That's a Good neighbour from Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

:bounce: 

"I AM" THAT "I AM"

ENJOY EVERY PRECIOUS MOMENT!

LOVE IS LOUDER!

EVERY SOUL IS PRECIOUS BEYOND MEASURE!

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

It is a wonderful story HWG! I wish more HUEmans would care as much as this young girl did. :)

Anonymous

Great story & example. Taking the time to observe people showing sensitivity to their needs and offering kindness, a listening ear, offer of help and concern is what we each can do in myriad ways as we Live our life of BEing & DOing. Not actually very difficult, just takes a focus on others, mindful of opportunities to show love & respect - even if it's just opening or holding a door for someone, or helping another pick up some dropped items. Simple little things can mean a lot, mostly creating a new habit of demonstrative kindness, creating a new heart within those who choose to live this way... daily-- one moment at a time in Love's Presence, Peace, Joy, & more... as we're Given opportunity. ☀ 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum