OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories
By Sherley Boursiquot, Epoch Times | May 20, 2016
Last Updated: May 22, 2016 10:54 am
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories GettyImages-472361094-676x450
(Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

NEW YORK—The morning of May 20 was like any busy day in New York City: people rushing to work, lines of cars stuck in traffic, construction workers on the street doing what they do best. Some people are outside restaurants chatting with friends—there was a lot going on that day—it was rush-hour after all. However, this morning was different—people appeared to be really happy. Perhaps it was the improving weather.
We decided to capitalize on the fine weather to discover the sunny side of New Yorkers. We asked people what good deeds they had done for others—and who knows, maybe it will inspire others to do the same.
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EET_20160520_9287-580x387

Mark Gwyan, 48, Entrepreneur, Brooklyn

Gwyan told us about his most memorable good deed: Helping a pregnant woman whose water broke in an elevator. 
“We were stuck in an elevator at a subway out on Lexington, and the woman was panicking, and I started to panic a little bit too,” he said.
There were four people in the elevator, he said.
“We were pretty much feeding off the energy of each other, then later her water broke. I didn’t help her deliver,” he said, “but I held her hand and helped her get through it until the paramedics arrived.” 
The people in the elevator, including Gwyan, took turns assisting the lady—except for one woman, who kept her distance, he said.
One gentleman laid down his shirt on the floor so the woman could lay on it, while Gwyan placed a book bag underneath her head.
“I rubbed her head,” he said, to calm her. “I told her to breathe through her nose.”
He said at first, he was feeling a little bit claustrophobic, but helped the lady the best way he knew how. 
The incident happened a month and a half ago, and lasted about 40 minutes.
“It was intense in there,” he said.
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EET_20160520_9263-580x387

Samantha Jones Toal, 18, University of Illinois

Samantha is an undergraduate at the University of Illinois. She said there’s a student who is constantly getting mocked by other students, so she steps in to be the person she could talk to.
“There is someone in a class of mine, and every time they would speak, people would just roll their eyes and laugh,” she said. “The person is just an awkward person, but a good person … they do not deserve all of the ridicule, and I just try to be someone [they can] talk to.”
“I like to think I am nice to people when other people aren’t—usually people who might be considered an outsider, I try to include them.”
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EET_20160520_9271-580x387

Brian Walsh, 30, Marketing director at Brewie, Baltimore, Maryland

Brian’s random act of kindness consists of babysitting for a couple who lives in the Upper East Side. Every time he comes to New York on business, he babysits their child.
Since he started his new job in the Big Apple, he has babysat for them three times.
“I’ve got some good friends that live in New York, they’ve got a young kid, so, whenever I can, I come in and spot them for the night … do a little baby sitting so they can get out and enjoy being a young married couple. You know it’s tough when you have a kid, so I try to help whenever I can.”
“They appreciate it,” he said.
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EET_20160520_9264-580x387

Cassidy Kely, University of Virginia

Cassidy’s story is simple, but sweet. There are many people who are in college and cannot afford a meal, so she helped out.
“I swiped in a random guy at my university—he had a free meal.”
He was visiting the college, she said. “I felt good because I thought it was crazy that they were trying to charge him $10 for dining hall food.”
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EET_20160520_9268-580x387

Celina Goldso, 20, Stony Brook University

Celina’s kind deed has helped her realized that she enjoys working with kids. She said she worked at a public school in the Bronx last year, helping children with their English.
“I worked with bilingual children for about a year; they didn’t really know how to speak English,” she said.
“They were, like, second and third graders, so I worked with them on their English.”  
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EET_20160520_9273-580x387
L-R: Lily, 15, Erin ,16, high school students from New York; and Stephanie, 28, occupational therapist from Orlando, Fla.
These three ladies shared their experiences with volunteer work. 
“I worked at a camp over the summer for kids with special needs and disabilities; so helping them is like a good deed that I do,” Lily said.
The camp is called Camp Ancho, located at Little Beach, Long Island. 
“It’s fulfilling and rewarding to know that I made these people’s day, ” she said.
Stephanie, too, has had some similar volunteering experience. 
“I have volunteered at a center in Miami with adults with disabilities,” she said.  
Volunteering made her feel “awesome,” she said. “They are a great crowd of people to work with.
“They [adults with disabilities] put on a talent show, so we assisted them in the show, helped get them on the stage and helped get their pictures taken,” she said.  
Erin recalled a memorable experience she had at her workplace.  
“I worked at Dunkin Donuts, and there was this lady that would come in … she had cancer.  So whenever she comes in we would give her free tea, we’d sit with her, we’d take a break from our job and sit and talk to her, and just be there for her,” Erin said.
“I guess she was very lonely—she kept coming in to talk, so we all would take a break to talk with her,” she said.
Erin said she hasn’t seen the woman lately, but “it was nice to be there for her” during that time.
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EET_20160520_9280-580x387

Gabriella, 34, Nurse, United Kingdom

Gabriella, from Ghana, said assisting members in her church is her good deed, and it’s ongoing.
“Right now, I am just going to help a lady, she lost her son. So in the Ghanaian culture, they do a funeral ceremony; we have a small get-together, we prepare food, we mourn with her, and we encourage her, ” she said.
“We are preparing the food today, and tomorrow we’ll do the funeral.”
She said the church is very supportive.
“We support her with prayers, and we call her to keep her spirits up.”
Random Acts of Kindness: New Yorkers Share Their Stories EET_20160520_9256-580x387

Gestvall, 40, Graphic Designer

Gestvall, from Sweden, is part of a marketing team for a culture carnival in Sweden. He says he works for free because increasing awareness about all types of culture is fulfilling.  
“[The culture carnival] shows different cultures. You know, Sweden is not as multicultural, [as] the United States. So most people come here [from] Sweden, maybe because they don’t have the resources to express the culture.”
There are many people who are not open to immigrants, he said, so the culture carnival is a way for people in Sweden to welcome all different cultures.
“People are different, but they are quite the same,” he said.
“So the culture carnival consist of Latin American groups, Chinese groups, Asians, African dance groups, exhibitions, theater—it’s a multicultural event.”

Thanks to: http://www.theepochtimes.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum