OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza

"Instead of wasting time complaining about how bad our situation is, I prefer to seek solutions for problems."

Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza Avatar_user_42111_1561096629-32x32
Elias Marat
Meet the Young Palestinian Woman Turning Sunlight Into Power in Gaza Palestinian-solar-power-gaza-740x416

(TMU) — As the Palestinian enclave of Gaza endures its 12th year of a crippling siege by Israel and Egypt, about two million people have been deprived of clean water, decent healthcare, adequate employment, and reliable sources of energy.

Since Israeli occupying forces stepped up its blockade in 2016 and Egypt halted smugglers who brought fuel to Gaza, residents of the thin Mediterranean coastal strip have struggled to survive on only three hours of electricity per day—placing hospitals and other crucial buildings in a precarious position as they rely on expensive generators to keep the power on during the cuts.

This dire situation inspired award-winning Palestinian entrepreneur Majd Mashharawi, 25, to find a unique solution to the energy crisis faced by her fellow Gazans. The young woman had already earned fame across the globe after designing GreenCake, a brick made from ash and rubble that’s nearly as durable as cement and provides a crucial construction option for builders in the besieged region.

Her solution was to design SunBox, an affordable generator that utilizes solar power to provide clean electricity despite the Israeli blockade. With a price of only $350, the solar kit is capable of providing 1,000 kilowatts of electricity to families through panels they can install on their roofs.

While far from a comprehensive fix to Gaza’s electrical problems—which range from a lack of power for desalination plants to an absence of fully-fledged electrical plants—the project can provide a fix to the household needs of families who need power for their lamps, mobile phones, televisions, internet connections, and even their refrigerators.

I spent all my [time at] college sitting by a candle.

Hospitals are prioritized, they have eight to 10 hours’ electricity—people have three to five hours.”

Continuing, she noted how her own life has been plagued by power cuts ever since the Israelis bombed the strip’s only electrical plant in 2006, when she was 12. Majd explained:

“It became part of my life. It’s annoying … but you don’t know about it until you see it in real life.
When I was in Gaza, I used to accept it, but when I went to Japan, and I saw how many lights they have in the streets, how easy life is … you just go to the bathroom, you have [a] hot shower, it’s so easy.”

When Majd finally began installing SunBox units across the strip, she immediately saw how it transformed the lives of Gazans. She told the Independent:

“One of the first units I installed was in a refugee camp. The next day I went back to the camp and saw the whole neighborhood watching football using our device.”

As of the first quarter of 2019, over 1,000 people are now using the sustainable energy device.

For one Gazan resident named Samar whose son requires a respirator to treat his life-threatening lung disease, the SunBox has been nothing short of miraculous. Samar explained:

“SunBox is more than a solar device that provides lights for my kids to study and run the TV for them, it really changed my life by providing electricity to run the medical device for my sick child.
Now I do not have to worry every day whether I can go to the hospital or not, I do not have to run anymore to be on time so I can provide him with oxygen before something happens.” 

Another customer, Muna, has been able to work from home as a tailor without worrying about abrupt electricity cuts—or having to stay up all night so she could work whenever the electricity came back on, as was the case prior to receiving the SunBox. She said:

“I don’t have to worry when I will wake up and when I can sleep. I never imagined I would control my source of energy, I feel independent.”

Majd hopes that her inventions can help blaze a trail for women in Gaza. During her time at Gaza’s Islamic University, she struggled with a 6-1 male to female ratio in her engineering class.

“I know very well that the world around us is advancing, while our lives in Gaza are frozen,” she told the New Arab. “But instead of wasting time complaining about how bad our situation is, I prefer to seek solutions for problems.”

Majd now hopes that her startup can help not only to empower local women—whom she focuses on recruiting once they graduate from university—but also power the dreams of an impoverished and frustrated generation of Gazans. She said:

“I want to show that we are not just victims in Gaza. I am a statistic that cannot be ignored.”

By Elias Marat | Creative Commons | TheMindUnleashed.com

MORE HERE: https://themindunleashed.com/2019/11/palestinian-woman-creates-solar-power-kit-gaza.html

Thanks to: https://themindunleashed.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum