The federal government isn’t going to rush things.
Source: Richard Moorhead The federal government won’t end up recommending that Americans start getting back to work by Easter, with President Donald Trump extending the Center for Disease Control’s ‘Social Distancing’ guidelines to April 30th. President Trump announced the move in a press briefing of the national Coronavirus Task Force in the Rose Garden Sunday.
The strategy represents a departure from a suggestion raised by Trump earlier in the month, who accepts the need to place the national economy on hold to appropriately focus on combating the epidemic in the United States. “Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory has been won,” stated the President. “Therefore we will be extending our guidelines to April 30.”
The guidelines suggest that Americans avoid congregating in groups of people more than ten and that most non-essential businesses and organizations physically close. Powered by wordads.co
Seen ad many times
Report this ad President Trump also mentioned that he’s considering to invoke further use of the Defense Production Act to marshal the manufacturing capabilities of private companies hesitant to accept government contracts to manufacture necessary supplies such as ventilators and masks. Doctor Anthony Fauci, the President’s leading medical and scientific advisor on the efforts to contain the epidemic, suggested earlier Sunday that the disease could ultimately cause 200,000 fatalities nationwide. Such a prediction more than justifies the economically disruptive pause on everyday American life, even as some questionable economic interests ask that the President merely ignore the global pandemic and rush people back to work. The President earlier declined to place an unprecedented national quarantine on the states of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut, instead opting for a Center for Disease Control Travel Warning.
Now’s the time for Americans of all kinds to unite and focus their national efforts wholly on containing the novel disease.
Over the weekend, the global public health disaster caused by the coronavirus pandemic reached a new point of crisis at its center, the United States. Nationally, confirmed cases of COVID-19 soared to more than 135,000, for the first time rising by more than 20,000 in a single day. Deaths doubled in two days, surpassing 2,400: here . With the number of coronavirus cases surging to 5,486 and 132 deaths over the weekend, Michigan has moved to number four on the list of states with the most severe outbreaks of the pandemic in the US. The epicenter in Michigan continues to be the city of Detroit, where the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases stands at 1,542 and 35 deaths. The tri-county metropolitan area of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties have 82 percent of the state’s total with 4,494 cases and 110 deaths: here .
This 28 March 2020 video from the USA says about itself:
Detroit Will See a ‘Tsunami’ of Coronavirus Cases Infectious disease specialist with the Detroit Medical Center Dr. Teena Chopra says the growth curve of COVID-19 cases in Detroit is steeper than that in New York. Southeast Michigan has become an epicenter of the coronavirus crisis .
At least nine US autoworkers have lost their lives so far to the COVID-19 pandemic, after four deaths were reported in the media over the weekend. According to a Saturday report in the Detroit Free Press, two hourly Ford workers died after being diagnosed with COVID-19. Coworkers identified one of the workers as Gregory Boyd from Dearborn Stamping Plant, part of Ford’s massive River Rouge complex. The second death was a skilled trades worker at the Ford Data Center, also in Dearborn, whose identity is not yet known. On Sunday, the Free Press reported that two more Fiat Chrysler workers died of COVID-19, one from Warren Truck Assembly Plant and another from the MOPAR parts distribution center in Center Line, Michigan. These bring the death toll to seven at FCA’s US plants, including two at a single facility, Warren Truck: here . By Erik Schreiber in the USA, 30 March 2020:
Workers for Instacart, a grocery shopping and delivery service, began a nationwide walkout in the United States today to protest the company’s refusal to protect them or provide hazard pay during the coronavirus pandemic. They have vowed not to return to work until the company meets their demands. Instacart employs more than 150,000 workers across the country.
The coronavirus pandemic has increased demand for shopping and delivery services dramatically, as many people stay at home or in quarantine. Last week, Instacart announced plans to hire 300,000 new workers during the next three months to meet this demand.
Instacart workers (or “shoppers,” as the company calls them) have been demanding for weeks that the company institute the most elementary safety measures. “We don’t feel safe at work and we don’t feel we have the tools to keep customers safe,” said Ashley, a full-service shopper in Washington who is participating in the walkout. “The shoppers I know who aren’t sick are certainly not at their mental best. It’s a very dehumanizing and draining job right now.”
“Instacart has still not provided essential protections to shoppers on the front lines that could prevent them from becoming carriers, falling ill themselves, or worse,” said Instacart Shoppers and Gig Workers Collective in a statement posted on Medium on Friday. “They are profiting astronomically off of us literally risking our lives, all while refusing to provide us with effective protection, meaningful pay, and meaningful benefits.” …
wikipedia brown, socially distant OG @eveewing Welp. No more @Instacart for me until they do the things they need to do to keep their workers safe as they are offering the essential service of getting groceries to people who need them. https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1243979189226741760 … Bernie Sanders @BernieSanders .@Instacart was last valued at nearly $8 billion. A company of this size should not be forcing its workers to put themselves — and us all — at risk. I stand with the workers, and encourage Instacart to meet the their demands.https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4agmvd/instacarts-gig-workers-are-planning-a-massive-nationwide-strike …
Whole Foods workers have announced their intention to conduct a sick-out tomorrow, March 31, with a flyer circulating online reading: “We put ourselves at risk! We have demands!”
Whole Foods workers’ demands include three weeks’ paid time off for everyone, “not when we get sick but so we don’t get sick!” In addition, workers demand double hazard pay. “Don’t tell us we’re not emergency workers. Make the $2 wage increase permanent.” The flyer concludes, “The crisis has shown that we are worth more. We are no longer scared, but you should be.” Sanitation workers in Pittsburgh, autoworkers in Detroit, bus drivers in Birmingham, Alabama, and Amazon workers in New York and Italy have all walked off the job after coworkers tested positive for the novel coronavirus. “I know other jobs are also walking out for mistreatment right now, and I support that,” said Ashley. “Being in public right now is well known to be dangerous and bad for the community. People should be compensated for that risk and protected if they’re forced to take it.”
Chicago’s largest convention center to become 3,050-bed field hospital: here .
But wouldn’t you rather need ambulances and hospital tents in preference to tanks? Folk have seen strings of railway carriages parked up in the night loaded with military hardware ready to go. Do the sick and dying need this kind of protection? They are helping with food supplies apparently … and bringing generators (in case of power outage). They’re also calling in retired army vets to help. You can see the hardware for yourself by watching the video at this link.