OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef

By: Olivia Rosane
Updated: February 10, 2023
In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef Checked-mark  Edited by Irma Omerhodzic

In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef GettyImages-200114042-001-scaled

The Great Barrier Reef. Grant Faint / Getty Images

The Australian government on Wednesday rejected a proposed open pit coal mine that would have been located less than 6.2 miles from the Great Barrier Reef. 
The decision marks the first time Australia has rejected a coal mine based on environmental laws. 
“I’ve decided that the adverse environmental impacts are simply too great,” Australian Minister for the Environment and Water Tanya Plibersek said in a video announcing her decision. “The mine is an open cut mine less than 10 kilometers from the Great Barrier Reef, and the risk of pollution and irreversible damage to the reef is very real.”

The Central Queensland Coal Project was proposed by Australian mining mogul Clive Palmer, who also founded and funds the conservative United Australia Party, as AP News reported. It would have had a capacity of 11 million U.S. tons of coal each year for 25 years. The mine would have produced both thermal and coking coal, according to BBC News.
In her announcement, Plibersek said the mine would have polluted freshwater and potentially harmed the seagrass meadows that provide food for dugongs and breeding grounds for fish. 
Plibersek’s decision was not unexpected. It comes months after she announced her proposed decision was not to approve the mine. However, the law required she then take comments from both the mine’s proposers and members of the public. During the public comment period, more than 9,000 people responded within 10 days, with most of them supporting her decision to block the project, according to BBC News.
Learn More About Energy Solutions From EcoWatch
  • How to Save Energy
  • How to Lower Your Energy Bill
  • Are Solar Panels Worth It for Your Home?

The coal mine would also have contributed to the greatest threat faced by the world’s coral reefs–the climate crisis. The Great Barrier Reef is especially vulnerable. In 2022, it suffered its sixth mass bleaching event since 1998.
The current Australian Labor government came to power last year with promises to up the nation’s climate ambitions with a goal of cutting emissions by 43 percent by 2030. However, the country remains one of the world’s leading exporters of both coal and natural gas, according to AP News. Its policies are rated “insufficient” by Climate Action Tracker, and it has so far resisted calls from the Green Party to reject all new fossil fuel projects, CNN reported.
Plibersek told Parliament Thursday that her decision to block the proposed coal mine did not signal a shift in policy, according to AP News.
“I will make each decision that comes before me on a case-by-case basis according to the law and according to the science that is available,” she said.

In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef D9QkfBkV_normal
Tanya Plibersek
@tanya_plibersek
·
Follow

An update on the proposed Central Queensland Coal project.

In National First, Australia Uses Environmental Law to Reject New Coal Mine to Protect Great Barrier Reef ScFqBQiNNT75Hs6i

10:37 PM · Feb 7, 2023

THANKS TO: https://www.ecowatch.com/australia-rejects-new-coal-mine.html

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum