OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

The Winter Watch Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival

May 28, 2023

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  Survival

PHOTO: Friends of Government Canyon

Editor Note: almost all links that are marked closed are still good.

By Simple Citizen

A second entry by one very Simple Citizen and friend to all at Winter Watch

First, we might wish to try and set the tone of this particular page, to be clear it is not really a thread inasmuch as one might think of a classical entry into a worldwide web log (or blog). It will have the format of a thread; however, this entry into Winter Watch might best be described as an attempt at a basic resource or reference guide (not comprehensive) in unusual times.
Often we have all utilized posts to provide ideas and recommendations for preservation to one another, only to have our ideas and words get muddled in a long chain of contributions that may add other meanings to a thread. This particular entry, looking a little like a thread, actually represents a communal space dedicated to uplifting life and survival, reasonable preparation for tougher times, as well as a common sense approach to simply living well, with less worry, in times that may seem quite dark. Think of this page as a bulletin board where we can all contribute ideas in support of one another.
For our friends outside of the United States, I must admit that I do not have many specific resources in this work as a result of not knowing your local markets very well. Please consider this work as providing both a few resources that may ship internationally, which may permit delivery to your specific market, but (more importantly) ideas that may inspire you to secure materials in your home area, which may lend support to your, personal, survival in difficult times.
Disclaimer:  For the sake of transparency, I have no financial or legal connection with the resources that I am about to mention other than to own some of these products for our family’s personal use. Also, any reference of an item should not be assumed to be a direct recommendation for a specific product by this author or anyone connected to or working for Winter Watch. The materials mentioned in this webpage are for reference only, and any reader should perform their own research in selecting what materials may be best for themselves and the ones they love.

Reference Recommendation

One of the best resources I have ever come across regarding survival would be “How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It” by James Wesley Rawles. I utilize the audiobook.
From my perspective, Mr. Rawles has written a very comprehensive text on the subject of survival. It’s probably the best primer for anyone who has not previously thought about surviving difficult times in their past. For me, although I acquired this text many years ago, this is an extremely useful resource that I have returned to over and over again.
Additional ideas:
  • When Everything Fails: Surviving Any Disaster
  • Survival Mentality: The Psychology of Staying Alive
  • Understanding and Applying Self-Defense Strategies
  • “Ultimate SAS Survival” by John Wiseman
  • “FM 21 76 NEW U. S. Army Survival Handbook”
  • USMC MCMAP
  • “Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills”

Water

For water purification and safety, we may wish to turn our attention toward the British as being one of the more experienced nations in this field: Berkey Filters.

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  BucketWaterFilterDiagram-285x300

IMAGE: Portlandprepers.org
There are ways to provide the same clean and purified water, in basic buckets, in a cost effective manner; I would encourage some additional research. As examples, I would like to provide the following list of YouTube videos on water purification and this article: “Homemade Two-Bucket Water Filtration System.”
Supplementary ideas:
  • LifeStraw
  • Mainstay Emergency Drinking Water
  • Water Brick
  • Lifesaver Jerrycan
  • How to Buy, Install and Use a Rain Barrel

If you use a rain barrel for drinking water, you will need to purify the contents. Although there are several ways to do so, a relatively cost effective product could be a swimming pool shock treatment. Please research how to effectively use the product for potable water.
In case you need to provide for a community, try a large-scale water purification product.
A means to purify and save water in water bricks (mentioned above) is APEC Water Systems RO-CTOP-C Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System with Case, Installation-Free, Fits Most Standard Faucet, or any other reverse osmosis filtration system that has at least 4-5 filters (including for fluoride removal), such as countertop distillers.
Now, if you have the resources and wish to experiment further with clean water, then:
  • Atmospheric water generator
  • Water generator

From other discussions, some of us have wondered if it might be possible to utilize a greenhouse environment to grow plants, while creating humidity for an atmospheric water machine. Also, we have spoken about adding this greenhouse as an addition off of a closed, saltwater-based, swimming pool. This way, the entire environment could support health, food, good air and water. Add solar panels, and you have an energy producer as well. In theory, one could add a tilapia farm to the structure as well.
Either way, please consider that clean water is vital for your own health and survival.

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  How-to-Can-Peaches-2-of-5

Canned peaches PHOTO: Practicalselfreliance.com

Food

As a general idea, I (personally) do not store emergency food that I am unsure I would ever wish to eat in troubled times. Although I do not have a problem with “survival” food companies, I would caution against including too much of their products in a larder due to the possibility that:
1. You may not actually enjoy the taste of the product;
2. There could be many GMOs included in the product;
3. Some companies seem to overly utilize salt for flavor;
4. And there has been testing to indicate heavy metals in preserving some of these longer “shelf stable” type of food products.
My (humble) suggestion would be to preserve many of the foods you enjoy eating and accompany them with some survival-type products that you have vetted and believe you could enjoy, if needed.
We might wish to begin with the concept of creating supplies of the foods you already enjoy and putting them aside for a “rainy day”:
  • Fresh Preserving
  • Step-by-Step-Dehydrating
  • Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving (2010)

Tools to assist with preserving food:
  • Dehydrators
  • SunStar Solar / DC Chest Freezer 15CU ST-15CF
  • “How to Light a Propane Refrigerator”

Obviously, this is not a comprehensive list in any way, shape and/or form. There are so many ways that one could work toward food preservation, including acquiring a dormitory-size freezer and hooking it to a DC battery with an inverter attached to it for a less expensive means of cold storage. Also, there is the whole aspect of bucket storage for dried foods. My personal favorites are as follows:
  • Vittles Vault Pet Food Storage Containers
  • 2-in-1 Black/Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer System with Starter Kit
  • Food Grade Oxygen Absorbers Packets

With the grouping above, I have a container that does not require a special tool for access as in the case with some of the other gamma type buckets. Additionally, I am able to purchase supplies (beans, coffee, rice, etc.) that I honestly enjoy eating and would be happy to enjoy in any situation. Also, I have better control of what is going into my body. The last thing I need under a stressful situation is to have massive insulin spikes due to preservatives that I would not normally consume.
One way to make your larder go farther would be to consider intermittent fasting by design. Not only might you become healthier (depending on your situation), but it would permit you to extend the life of what you have put aside. A favorite text in this area, which you do not need to be obese to enjoy, is “The Obesity Code – Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss (Book 1).”
Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  Canned-Food

PHOTO: Womens Health
Now for a few other ideas:
  • Mainstay Emergency Food Bars
  • Ranger Bucket Set – Organic Emergency Storable Food Supply
  • Butter food storage options
  • Bega canned cheese
  • Lehman’s canned chicken
  • Lehman’s canned bacon
  • Readywise Survival Food
  • Mountain House Adventure Meals

As with any area of preparedness, food options are vast, as are the methods for constructing a stable supply. What I would recommend is to begin with writing down what you generally enjoy eating, and then look toward ways to first store those items. Then, you may wish to add a few items that round out your supplies or can be easily taken “on the road,” if you need to change your location.
Please also remember that many protein powders can be healthy and filling. Furthermore, protein powders do not necessarily require a lot of space and may often be mixed with water or shelf-stable milk. Additionally, one could utilize a mixing cup or even a hand-cranked blender.
  • Vortex Blender
  • What is shelf-stable milk?
  • Teraswhey Grass Fed Organic Whey Protein

For any of our vegan or vegetarian friends:
  • BlenderBottle Classic V2 Shaker Bottle
  • Organic Hemp Heart Protein Powder
  • FIJI Natural Artesian Water

Tools

This is a massive topic to even consider based on where you may currently live (rural or urban or something in between) and where you may end up (often a crises may set off a migration), so I am just going to place a “laundry list” of ideas in the hope that I may provide something, which may be useful for your own situation. The following are all subcategories of tools.

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  Dry-cell-battery

DIAGRAM: Upsbatterycenter.com

Power

• What is a Deep Cycle Battery?
  • Goal Zero portable power solutions
  • Garmin
  • Why Steam Generators Are Better Than Steam Boilers
  • Steam Generators
  • Generac Power Systems
  • Deep-cycle battery
  • Pedal Cell
  • The 10 Best Deep Cycle Batteries In 2021 Reviews and Buying Guide
  • How Long Will a 12V Deep Cycle Battery Last With an Inverter
  • Inverters R Us
  • Household Hydropower: An Underutilized Source of Renewable Energy
  • Small Wind Electric Systems

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  Green-light-bulb

Light

• FlexFilament C9 LED Shatterproof Green Vintage Edison Christmas Light Bulbs
  • Merry Corliss Chamber Olive Oil Lamp
  • Woodshed Wall Mounted Oil Lamp
  • Rayo Lantern Cooker
  • Glow Sticks
  • Christmas Lights
  • Coleman battery lantern
  • The Best Solar Walkway Light
  • The Motion Activated Place Anywhere Lights
  • The Tactical Defense Flashlight
  • The Five Mile Flashlight

Heat

• How to Make and Use a Solar Oven
  • Baker’s Choice Wood Cookstoves
  • Folding Stove with Fuel
  • Coleman Camping Stoves
  • Coleman Outdoor Grills
  • Esbit Solid Fuel Stove and Cookset
  • MSR WindBurner Stove System
  • GSI Selkirk 540 Camp Stove
  • Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater

Food Preparation and Consumption on the Move

• Stanley Pour Over Set
  • Stanley Base Camp Cook Set
  • Ozark Trail 24 Piece Dinnerware Enamel Set
  • Ozark Trail 5-Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Handle
  • Boker Bird Knife

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  Saitaris-tent

IMAGE: Saitaris.com

Shelter on the Move

• Saitaris Tent
  • Hilleberg Tents
  • Ultralight Backpacking Tents from Sea to Summit

Mixed-Use Tools for Securing Food and General Protection

• L.L.Bean 2018 Collector’s Knife and Hatchet
  • 5 Best Survival Fishing Rods to Use in 2021 (New Reviews)
  • UDAP Pepper Power Safety Orange Bear Spray with Griz Guard Holster
  • Henry US Survival AR-7 Semi-Auto Rimfire Rifle
  • Ten Point Crossbows
  • Black Powder
  • Taurus Judge Series
  • SAN 511 Precision Rifle .50 BMG
  • German Border Patrol SIG P210-4
  • Swiss Schmidt Rubin 896/1911 96/11 Rifle, 7.5×55
  • Ka-Bar

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  Download

Medical and Personal Preservation Ideas

• First Aid Manual
  • “Where There Is No Dentist”
  • “Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook”
  • The Recon First Aid Kit
  • Large, 50 Person Red Cross First Aid Kit
  • Vitality Medical supply
  • Dental Instrument Kit
  • The PUP (Portable Utility Pop-Up Tent)
  • Thetford Porta Potti Campa Potti XG
  • Little John Portable Urinal
  • Feminine Hygiene

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  FRX3WXR_image_01

IMAGE: Redcross.org

Communications and News

• FRX3 Rechargeable Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA Weather ALERT Radio
  • Emergency Radios
  • Two-Way Radios
  • Satellite Phones
  • How to Use A SSB CB Radio Properly
  • Ham Radio in the Age of the Internet
  • Uniden CB Radio with SSB
  • A Beginners Guide To SSB CB Operation

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  59979-0_600x600

IMAGE: Asmc.com

Real Masks and Other Protection

• Polish MP-5 Gas Mask, 40mm NATO Filter, Carrying Bag Unissued Condition
  • Dupont Tyvek Protective Clothing
  • Bullet Blocker
  • Leatherback Gear
  • EMF Radiation Protection Baseball Cap

Conclusion

As you might notice, there are many ideas that one may need to consider when attempting to prepare for a situation in which our lives may change due unforeseen or even unimaginable events. The various lists in this thread are by no means all inclusive and, if anything, represent a means to inspire everyone to consider what they may need for self-preservation under difficult circumstances.

Reference Guide to Prepping for Survival  Faraday-cage-environment-600x235

SKETCH: Backyardbrains.com
Certainly, it is not my intention to alarm, intimidate and/or scare anyone. If you have not begun any form of preparation, you may wish to begin by examining your own lifestyle and those of the people for whom you are responsible. Then begin by simply making lists of items that you could utilize in both normal, everyday life, and put to the side for more complicated times. Then slowly begin to research how you might build some resources a step at a time. Think of it like adding a little change to your piggy bank. With each new addition, your savings grow. Preparation works on the exact same principle.
Work within your means, and please do not panic or become a deep hoarder. These types of mindsets lead to mistakes and may result in cutting off the common sense intellect one needs to make a sound plan. Also, I would encourage everyone to get to know your communities. You do not need to know every single person within your community, but if you can get to know some of the people pretty well and spend a little time with them, simply in conversation, then not only might you find new friends, but you may also be saving lives in times when you may all need to rely on one another.
(An aside:  Please, please, please do not try to “corner the market” in any area of preparation. If you wish to put some extra items aside for the use in barter, then do so; however, I would encourage both  utilizing common sense and the purest rationale when creating such stock levels. Further, I would also encourage DEEP GENEROSITY TOWARDS ONE’S FELLOW MAN OR WOMAN IN NEED. We all find ourselves compromised from time to time, and the individual you may be assisting today could end up saving your life tomorrow. SO PLEASE TRY TO MAINTAIN A GENEROUS AND KIND HEART TO ALL. Thank you.)
Anyone who has spent some time on Winter Watch knows that globalism and technocracy are ineffective at meeting the needs of local communities as the assumptions made by authoritarians are often completely incorrect and widely inaccurate. Survival will depend on local people coming together and helping one another. So please consider getting to know at least a few people in your local community, and make sure to see them at regular intervals.
There are so many ideas and items that I have left out here. Many of you may notice that I kept my focus to water, food, light, power, heat, protection, basic communications and basic medical/hygiene necessities. The reason I did so was to really begin at the basic “step one” for anyone who has not begun thinking about or preparing for self-preservation. My hope is that we, the Winter Watch community and any new (welcome) visitors, may add abundance to this thread through the comments, discussion and responses. We are our own digital community. Even though we may be separated by physical mileage, we have the means to still inspire, support and uplift one another.

THANKS TO: https://www.winterwatch.net/2023/05/the-winter-watch-reference-guide-to-prepping-for-survival/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum