OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  Hqdefault

Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa

A very happy looking Frank Zappa, age fifteen, posing next to his winning illustration for the California Division of Forestry in 1955.

“The most important thing in art is the frame. For painting, literally, for other arts, figuratively—because, without this humble appliance, you can know where The Art stops and The Real World begins. You have to but a “box” around it because otherwise, what is that shit on the wall?”

—Frank Zappa quoted in The Real Frank Zappa Book (page 140).
Before he illustrated the winning entry for an annual poster contest held by the California Division of Forestry, the then fourteen-year-old Frank Zappa, a 9th grader at Grossmont High School in San Diego, had spent some good portion of his youth drawing. The story behind Zappa becoming interested in drawing is about as Frank Zappa as you might imagine. Here’s more from Frank on that:
“I had some basic interests in art, and since I was a kid, I was able to draw things. So I saw a piece of music, and I drew a piece of music. I had no idea what it would sound like or what was going on in it, but I knew what an eighth note looked like – I didn’t know it was an eighth note. I started drawing music and that was it.”
Zappa kept a sketch scrapbook as a teenager and also enjoyed entertaining his younger sister Candy by creating illustrations for her. Three years after winning the poster contest, Zappa would win another state-wide art contest for his abstract painting “Family Room,” this time sponsored by the California Federation of Women, and the Hallmark Greeting Card company. In the press clip announcing Zappa’s win (featured in the book Cosmic Debris: The Collected History and Improvisations of Frank Zappa), he was described as a “highly versatile” young person who had no plans to “confine” his artistic interests to painting. It was also noted that the young Zappa was writing a book. When asked if either art or literature were in the cards for his future, his answer was “music.” Zappa was now seventeen and already playing in a band called the Blackouts and was fully engaged in music lessons and musical composition. Before his graduation from high school, Frank was given the opportunity to conduct the Antelope Valley Junior College orchestra, who performed two of Zappa’s original compositions, “Sleeping In A Jar,” and “A Pound For A Brown On A Bus” (noted in the book, Frank Zappa FAQ: All That’s Left to Know About the Father of Invention).
Getting back to Zappa’s art, the majority of images in this post are of work Zappa created from the mid-‘50s to the mid-60s. If you’re a fan of Zappa, you’re likely aware he created early collage-style showbills for Mothers of Invention gigs. The very cool artwork of a young Frank Vincent Zappa follows.

Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  1958_painting_465_647_int

Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  BassPlayer_465_899_int

Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  1959-01_painting_465_620_int

Wowie Zowie: The early beatnik-style artwork of Frank Zappa  Horny_1961_465_1264_int

MORE HERE: https://dangerousminds.net/comments/wowie_zowie_the_early_beatnik_style_artwork_of_frank_zappa?utm_source=Dangerous+Minds+newsletter&utm_campaign=28b7a2d1ed-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ecada8d328-28b7a2d1ed-65891333

Thanks to: https://dangerousminds.net

https://youtu.be/Dn2vfY1D990

https://youtu.be/RGQxI0G6mKk

topspin2

Ahhhhhh, the ZAPSTER....In music, there is Zappa then everybody else....Nicola Tesla's grandson..Its a secret you know....

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum