5 Unbelievable Health Benefits of Medical Marijuana
By Romit Malhotra, Conscious Life News
Upfront Summary (details below image): From easing the pain to treating depression, here are some science-backed benefits of medical marijuana:
Marijuana is legal in 29 US states and Washington DC. 84% of Americans support the medicinal use of marijuana. Above all, the NIH’s National Institute on Drug Abuse confirms medical uses of cannabis.
So the support for medical marijuana is growing like a “weed”. It clearly means that marijuana is no more an illegal or immoral drug.
Thanks to the multiple studies over the years which have established marijuana can be a potential remedy for a number of ailments like pain, depression and cancer.
On the basis of those studies, here are some health benefits of medical marijuana.
(1) Medical Marijuana Eases Chronic Pain ReliefMarijuana is an effective remedy to ease chronic pain, thanks to its analgesic chemicals like TCH and CBD. Over the years, many studies have also proved its pain relieving ability. One of them was published in The European Journal of Medicine. The study has reviewed the effects of medical marijuana on the patients 65 and older. It found that medical marijuana can significantly minimize pain and improve the quality of life for seniors. In fact, over 18 percent of respondents (patients) admitted to stop using analgesics or reduce the use of their painkillers.
In 2017, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine published a report on the health effects of cannabis and cannabinoids. The organization concluded that marijuana can treat chronic pain in adults.
(2) Medical Marijuana Prevents GlaucomaGlaucoma is defined as a complicated medical condition in which damage to the optic nerve leads to a progressive vision loss. It happens due to the higher-than-normal pressure in the eye known as intraocular pressure. Marijuana can minimize this pressure, according to the National Eye Institute.
(3) Medical Marijuana Can Treat Mental IllnessMarijuana can be a promising treatment for various mental disorders. Its components like THC and CBD can ease the signs of depression.
A recent study by the University of Buffalo found that marijuana can boost the production of endocannabinoids in the body. Endocannabinoids plays important role in physical and mental health. This way, it minimizes stress and lifts the mood of a person as well.
According to a report by Clinical Psychology Review published in ScienceDirect.com, medical marijuana can be a potential treatment of PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), and a safe alternative for other substances.
(4) Medical Marijuana Can Be Useful for Cancer Patients:National Cancer Institute has confirmed that CBD and THC found in marijuana can kill cancer cells without affecting the healthy cells. According to Cancer.org, marijuana can ease post-chemotherapy signs like pain, poor appetite, insomnia and nausea.
(5) Medical Marijuana Can Treat Epilepsy:Epilepsy is a central nervous system disorder which causes sudden episodes of sensory disturbance, convulsions or loss of consciousness. It is triggered by a genetic disorder or acquired brain injuries like stoke or trauma. Epilepsy is the fourth most common neurological disorder and affects people of all ages.
While it is treated by medication, surgery, devices and dietary changes, medical marijuana has also been tested for its ability to treat epilepsy. Earlier clinical studies have found that CBD of marijuana can help control seizures. Recently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved EPIDIOLEX, which is an oral solution derived from marijuana’s CBD. EPIDIOLEX is prescribed to control seizures in people two years of age or older.
Conclusion:So these are the health benefits of medical marijuana which are backed by scientific studies. However, there are several things to keep in mind before considering marijuana for a medical use. First of all, make sure your country permits the medicinal use of marijuana. Secondly, consult your doctor if medical marijuana can help with your condition and how to take it.
Author Bio:Romit is a Marketing Manager at Phytoplant Research S.L., a Medicinal plants research and development company in Spain.
Thanks to Wes at: https://karmayogadaily.com